Monday, November 26, 2007

I, Poet.

Those who have been to college know how boring some lectures can be. You just need a ways to amuse yourself. Some that I’ve tried are:

  1. Playing Sudoku, tic-tac-toe etc.
  2. Reading a newspaper
  3. Bugging your bench mate
  4. Writing a poem

The last one used to be my favorite in the third year of college. There was this particularly annoying lecture that was at 8 am daily. No matter how hard I try, I couldn’t get a word of what the lecturer was trying to explain. On second thought, I guess he wasn’t even trying. My first poem was born during such troubled times. No wonder it turned out to be premature. Let me give you a glimpse of what it looked like.

Untitled

Why would one feel so lonely?
When one ain't even a bit homely.
Why should one feel so dead?
When one hasn't even yet felt lead.

This is just to tell ya what's it like,
To be a Gangsta' on the streets full of vice.
How would it feel to know that you've reached the end?
When you haven't even dreamt of reaching the helm.

But then that's not all what our life brews,
You think you've got all the right things when you book a cruise.
Still you feel so hollow inside,
`Coz you know your kids will never lead a normal life.

And then when it all ends in a hurry,
You don’t even get the time to worry.
Was this the death that you always dreamed of?
No one by your side when you are really in need of.

Now you know it was all a mistake,
Something that your son should never partake.
But it was never meant to be so,
As he goes about wielding a gun with a lot of gusto.

As you can see, it’s about a gangster who screws up big time. I agree it was a sorry attempt. All I cared was that every line should rhyme with the next one. In the process, the story telling took a beating. After all, it was all done in about 20 minutes. By the way, I am looking for a title for this piece of crap. Any ideas?

6 comments:

Ms V said...

Totally agree with it. The first poem I wrote was during the 5 min break before a Geography class in my 7th grade.
'Rain, rain go away
Little Tommy wants to play'
Everyday we hear this song
coming from the school days long
longing for a sunny day
running for a good nice play
we children very good and day
dearest rain, let us play.

I am very sure that I'll regret posting that online. Lol. But what the heck. And I too was hell bent on rhyming! :)

I was reminded of the OST of "Dangerous Minds" when I read the poem. If I remember correctly, it was "Gangsta's Paradise". Pretty good song.

And as for the title, hmm, this may not be what you're looking for, but the word that just popped into my head was "Disillusioned".
Hope that helps in at least switching on a bulb somewhere! :)

pooF.

Hardik aka 'The Lurker' said...

If you wrote that in 5 minutes and in the 7th grade, I am gonna accept your title rightaway.

Ms V said...

Hey!

I am truly sorry for doing this, but henceforth my blog shall be here

http://droopyeyes-n-lazyfingers.blogspot.com/

Soz for the inconvenience!

Thanks!
pooF.

Chintak Dholakia said...

nice post hardik

Chintak Dholakia said...

nice post hardik

Unknown said...

when did u write dis crap??
even i didnt know abt it!!